FUTURE PHILOSOPHICAL PILLS INSTRUCTIONS
Instructions for students/learners/participants [remote activity]
If you DO NOT have access to a printer
What you will need:
- A3 sheet of paper (if possible) & drawing materials.
- In your browser search for a “Random Number Generator” and choose one to keep open.
- Please click on the tools below to open the PDFs:
1. Set up your workspace – Look at the “Workspace Guide” and recreate the template by drawing it on your A3 piece of paper. Don’t draw the example text in RED. Once your workspace has been set up you can start to play.
2. “What’s your ailment?” – Begin by writing down your design question, hypothesis or statement in the space provided. This sentence should ground your journey.
3. Prescribe your dosage – If you are being facilitated you may be told which Prescription Dosage to use. If you are not being facilitated, or if you are playing solo, choose between Random, Chance or Deliberate.
4. Prescribe your Pills – Using the random number generator, generate a number between 1 & 40. Depending on which Prescription Dosage you are using you will do this between 1 & 5 times. When you have the appropriate amount of numbers go to the “Philosophical Pills by Cluster” PDF. Each Philosophical Pill has a corresponding number, search for the number(s) you generated to find your Philosophical Pill. Then populate your workspace template with the information from your Philosophical Pill(s), the Philosophical Pill Name, the Philosophical Pill Statement, the Philosophical Pill number and the Cluster Name, in the same format as the RED example text in the “Workspace Template Guide” PDF.
5. Interpret your Pills – Consider all the key terms in front you (Philosophical Pill(s) name, statement and cluster). How does this specific reading illuminate your question? Find connections. List 3 key words or a brief statement. This will be the summary of your interpretation of each Philosophical Pill. Write your text in the space given below each Philosophical Pill.
6. Make connections – If you have more than one Philosophical Pill connect any matching or related words with a drawn line to create a word map. Suggestion: if any ideas are coming to you at this stage, sketch them on or around your workspace.
7. Prescribe your Prompts – Use a similar method to prescribe your Prompts cards, do as follows:
- For Ingredients generate a number between 1 & 9
- For Affective Modes generate a number between 1 & 6
- For Standpoints generate a number between 1 & 4
- For Perspectives generate a number between 1 & 6
When you have your numbers go to the “Prompts by Cluster” PDF. Each Prompt has a corresponding number, search for the numbers you generated to find your Prompts. Then populate your workspace template with the information from your Prompts, the Prompts Statement and the Prompt Number, in the same format as the RED example text in the “Workspace Template Guide” PDF.
8. Interpret your Prompts – Each Prompt has it own task/question or suggestion. Use them to activate. mobilize and disrupt your existent Philosophical Pill reading.
9. Prescribe more Prompts – Repeat the process described above.
10. Self-diagnosis – Collect all the text, key words, statements you have assembled so far. Write a 150-word reflection on the process. What do you know now that you did not know before? Remember: the aim is not to obtain an answer or a solution, but to reframe your question so to expand your interrogation into new territories.